Travelers / Importers wishing to bring in Dogs, Cats or other pets into Dominica must first obtain an Import Permit from the Veterinary Department prior to importation.
Animal Health Guidelines to obtain an Import Permit:
- The animal must be examined by a licensed and accredited Veterinary authority in the exporting country, and a certificate issued indicating the health status of the animal.
- The animal must be free from internal and external parasites.
- The animal must be tested and treated for Heart Worms and certified Heart Worm free for export.
- The health records indicating the Immunization Status of the animal must be provided with a current DHLPP+ C Immunization Record or any other endemic diseases of importance.
- Dogs and cats coming from all Countries must be immunized with an approved Rabies Vaccine by an official veterinarian stating type, serial number, date of expiration and date of administration, at least 30 days and not more than one(1) year prior to exportation of animal.
- A blood sample must be taken from the animal and sent to a reputable Rabies Reference Laboratory to perform the RNATT*/FAVN, and the result must be sent directly to the Veterinary Services prior to issuing an import permit.The test result must show a serum antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/mL.
- The test must be done not less than one (1) month after vaccination with an approved Rabies Vaccine.
- An Import permit will be issued once the requirements are met, and sent to the importer by fax or email.*RNATT- Rabies Neutralizing Antibody Titration Test
- Animals and associated documents will be examined on arrival at Port by a Quarantine Inspector who reserves the right to reject or accept the animal based on its condition.
N.B. Please note that the test takes 3-4 weeks or longer before a result can be obtained. Please be guided by this information in relation to your travel plans.
Processing and other fees may apply. For more information on the importation of meat and meat products please contat:
The Livestock Development Unit
Division of Agriculture